On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:09:49AM +0200, Uri Even-Chen wrote:
> How much is a pocket PC?  I was thinking to buy a portable MP3 player
> myself, buy your E-mail reminded me that it might be better to have
> something that can read E-mail too.

I really don't know, good ones are about 3500 NIS, but the definition of
good is very fluid. You can get cheap ones for about 1800 NIS. If that's
too limited for depends upon what you want to do.

>  Then a pocket PC might be more
> suitable.  I don't know.  Depends on the price and how easy it is to
> use.  I want something very similar to what Geoff wrote - lots of
> memory, no moving parts etc.

The problem with pocket PCs is more a question of how do you answer
an email? If you are good with a tiny keyboard then you can do it.
I "played" with a pocket PC/cell phone combo with a full keyboard, but
I was unable to use it. The keys were just too small. Other people had
no trouble.

Tons of people use Blackberry's  They have small keyboards.

> Maybe I should settle for a good disk on key?  Or portable MP3 player
> combined with disk on key?  I want to go abroad for a few months
> (India), and it might be easier to use a disk on key with a public
> computer than to carry the computer with me...

I cheated on that. I read my email with MUTT, which runs in a command line
type of terminal window. I have an ssh server that only accepts keys
as authorization. I have a disk on key type device with a copy of putty
(for windows) and the key, encrypted with a passcode. If I loose the
key, I'm out 130 NIS or it's current replacment cost, but not any less
secure. (I hope).

Most Linux machines and OSX Macintosh computers have ssh clients built in.

> It might be something
> secure like U3, although I heard they don't support Linux.  But from my
> experience, public computers in any country are almost always with Windows.

I have heard of internet cafe's with Macintosh computers in the U.K.
but I expect that 99% of the computers you will find are windows.

A friend who owned a restaurant in Goa (western coast of India) said that
he could make a good bit of money importing keyboards from Israel. The
local internet cafe's sold most of their time to Israelis.

The advantage of a pocket PC on the other hand is WiFi and if you can get
enough bandwidth, a VoIP client. Skype is popular with the WinCE crowd,
there are also SIP clients. If you need to keep in touch with people
here, and are not having an employer or customer pick up the cell phone
tab, it may be well worth it.

Not every hotel has WiFi, my son stayed in a top of the line hotel in
Seoul which had relativly fast internet via ethernet. I don't know of
a pocket PC that supports ethernet.

Just to negate everything I just said, a 300 NIS MP3 player can record
a lot of 128kbps songs, audio books or lectures. If it gets lost,
stolen or breaks, there is not much to worry about.

Whatever you do DO NOT BUY WHITE EARBUDS. That's become the universal
sign for "I have an iPod mug me". :-(

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838