Quoting Ilya Konstantinov, from the post of Sat, 15 Apr:
> >Mine is the Logitech(R) Mobile Freedom(tm) but any BT earpiece will do,
> >but it's only used as a sound device. remember the calls won't ring
> >other than on the computer.
> When a mobile phone connects to an earpiece, usually the earpiece rings
> (some even vibrate) for incoming calls, so why can't a computer make it
> ring?

well, for that the client app needs to know it's talking to a BT headset
rather than a /dev/dsp clone. I haven't looked into figuring this out.

either way, this Logitech earpiece does not vibrate (waste of battery if
it did) and it rings via the earphone, i.e. only audible if in your ear.
then,  hitting its tiny button tells the BT server to "answer the call",
but the cleint softphone (or skype) needs to know about it somehow. I'll
google some more.

> >what you could look into are the dozens of
> >wireless phones sold today that connect to the computer via USB as well
> >as the regular land line
> With BezeqInt's new VoIP service (which gives you an Israeli incoming
> number), it looks like a computer (and a BlueTooth earpiece, and decent
> voice-recognition for voice-dialing :) is all you need.

well, as Amos is in Australia, there's a good chance he'll have some
annoying jitter, but it IS a cute option (not unlike the many users of
Vonage and similar services in countries outside the US). If you can
have a "hub" program that can recieve BT commands, talk to a SIP
softphone, Gizmo and Skype, you're on a roll. for extra points, have it
work as a module from within Asterisk :)

Asterisk is on my list of "to study" items. Now adding bluez, BT
profiles, softphones and their APIs... the communications re-revoluton
is afoot!

--
Former Soviet spy
Ira Abramov