On 4/24/06, Amit Aronovitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just a thought - maybe, if approached by the right people, they could be
> persuaded not to count specific IP's
> (e.g. Hamakor mirrors) for this "fine"?
>
> After all, open-source distros and package updates are not such a big
> chunk of traffic (surely when compared to P2P networks) - they might
> think it's worth it for a little PR.

All ISP's in Australia meter downloads and limit them (unless you buy the
most expensive package which is unlimited).  Once you reach the allocated
limit you MAY get downgraded to dial-up speeds (the contract allows them,
apparently they will give you some slack before actually enforcing this).

BUT - most ISP's also host all major Linux and open source mirrors and
generally do not count traffic to their local servers (because it doesn't load
their outgoing lines).

Now I don't expect you can convince each and every ISP in Israel to host
all major Open source projects but maybe if they count only traffic abroad
towards your limit (i.e. ignore traffic to IIX) then it will make sense - after
all that's most of their expense, isn't it?

--Amos

--
"(God) is my favourite fictional character." - Homer Simpson