Amos Shapira wrote:

>Wouldn't a format of the media (or otherwise overwriting the "offending" byte)
>solve this problem without having to replace the media altogether?

>Just wondering,

>--Amos

Hi Amos,
It's crazy! I tried your suggestion and formatted the media,
immediately after receiving it and that did not help.
I have two linux kernel 2.6 on my computer. First I installed a
64 bit system. But I found that operating 32-bit application with
it, is not trivial, so I installed on a different partition a
kernel 2.6, 32 bit system. Neither recognized corectly the
usbkey.
So, I recompiled the 32-bit kernel, removing the cumana partition
support, and it all was allright (on this installation).
   They say that good thinking comes from learning from mistakes,
and those come from bad thinking.
As a result of bad thinking, I partitioned the usbkey (with
fdisk). Then, when I tried to remove the partitions (with
cfdisk), I was informed that the partition table is faulty.
Returned to one single partition with fdisk, then removed it and
recreated it with cfdisk (they say that fdisk is buggy, and
apparently so it is), formated it for vfat and I was in business
again.
The big surprize is that now the usbkey works with BOTH linux 2.6
installations. Somehow, apparently, I got rid of the "offending" byte,
as you put it.
Many thanks to you and Goddes Fortune.
Cheers, Avraham