2006/6/5, Oded Arbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 20:28 +0300, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> Side note (only helps you if you want to bypass official package management):
> Many Python libraries, including python-elementtree, are pure-python
> libraries and should  work unchanged with any python version that they
> support [1]_.
[...]
> Some Python libraries (like python-celementtree, note the "c") do wrap
> C code and must be linked to the correct libpython, so you really have
> to get the right package or build from source.

I think we are confusing different different distributions - fedora has
a single package for both items.

You are right.  I didn't check, just assumed that if debian split
them, so did other people.

[...]
The main problem with most of the above suggestions, is you appear to be
recommending that I forgo the use of automatic installation and
dependency tracking and start to administer my system manually in the
spirit of the old "configure;make;make install" days. Problem is - due
to external time constraints I'm trying to phase away from "managing my
computer" and into "using my computer" ;-)

;-)
I didn't mean to actually recommend that (I said "only if you want to...").
Just felt like writing something about how Python libraries work in
case it would interest someone.

As for your problems - I never mastered RPM/redhat enough to recommend
solutions (beyond what was already proposed in this thread).  For me
the switch "from managing to using my computer" occured when I
installed debian (because I don't reinstall once a year and because it
packages just about everything).

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, who can only read email on weekends.