Thanks. The URL does not really answer my question, but I poked around a bit on kernel-traffic.org.

My impression is, that select(3p) uses an internal event queue which means that it is being triggered with a semaphore when a new event arrives.

Can anyone confirm or say otherwise? (Or at the very least, that it's not polling the file descriptors ...)

BTW, I've spent hours Googling to no avail.