From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:13 AM
To: linux-il@linux.org.il
Subject: (no subject)

Hi all,

I am looking for an elegant solution to my internet connecivity.

I use actcom and connect with a script.
What I want is some fine tuning. I would like the script to run.
When my computer reboots (which isn't often, its Linux after all) When
my
connection dies (this is the most important since I often access my home
computer from work)

I was given a script to use with cron, but I never found that it worked
for me,
but I could be something I am doing wrong.

I would prefer a more elegent approach which checks to see if I am
connected,
the way I do manually ie ifconfig and pinging a known address. If the
connection
is down then run the connect script.

Any ideas would be most helpful. I will paste the various scripts I have
at the
end of this email.
Thanks,
Aaron

-------------------------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/sbin# cat ptstart
#!/bin/sh
# Put your connection startup commands here VPN="172.26.255.198"
USER="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
MTU="1350"
CABLEGW=`route -n | grep ^0.0.0.0 | awk '{ print $1 }'`

cat /etc/ppp/resolv.conf > /etc/resolv.conf

route del default
#route add 172.26.255.198 gw $CABLEGW
route add 172.26.255.198 gw 172.25.96.1
PPTP=`which pptp`
$PPTP $VPN user $USER defaultroute noauth mtu $MTU exit 0
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/sbin#

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/sbin# cat ptstop
#!/bin/bash
#Put your connection stop commands here
killall pptp
exit 0
/etc/init.d/networking restart
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/sbin#

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/sbin# cat ptcron
#!/bin/sh
TESTHOST="198.133.219.25" #Host to ping-test: cisco.com
STOPSCRIPT="/usr/sbin/ptstop" #Script to stop a connection
STARTSCRIPT="/usr/sbin/ptstart" #Script to start a connection #Make sure
we
don't have 2 instances on this script running at once [ -e
/var/run/ptcron.pid ]
&& exit 0 touch /var/run/ptcron.pid # The actual connectivity testing is
right
here PING=`which ping` if $PING -c 3 -n $TESTHOST > /dev/null; then exit
0 rm -f
/var/run/ptcron.pid fi

echo -e "Link is dead, reloading"
$STOPSCRIPT
# wait a little while to let the pppd processes to shut down sleep 2
$STARTSCRIPT rm -f /var/run/ptcron.pid exit 0 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/sbin#