On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:54:26 +0300
"Nadav Har'El" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006, Micha Feigin wrote about "Re: Israel map site that work
> with firefox?":
> > >
> > > It might run FOSS and it's even community powered, but the map information
> > > itself is closed and will be used in the future for commercial use by the
> > > owner of the site:
> > > http://freemap.co.il/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176
> > >
> > > /me wonders whether it's time to start a www.really-free-map.org.il
> > > site :)
> >
> > Mapping software is easy, the problem is that creating map information is
> > VERY expensive
>
> Looking at this site, it appears that they believe that they can get this
> map information for free, by utilizing data sent in by many volunteers. Is
> this doable? I have no idea. The site claims impressive statistics (177
> towns, 4593 streets, 6613 km of roads), but I didn't really try it out myself.

The problem is much less willing (there are quite a few people willing to
contribute to the thousands of free projects out there). The problem is
capable. Collecting map data, streets and such, requires expertise that is
not common, not only in the FOSS community, but in the general public.

Try as an exercise to map your local neighborhood and then compare it to an
existing map to see how well you did.