Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why my wordpress plugin won't work on PHP4, and
> I'm getting this strange error:
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/sources/wordpress$ ./test.php

> <b>Parse error</b>:  syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM in

Ok, I found the explanation, and it has nothing to do with locale.

The error, in plain English, is this. The first word (unexpected)
translates to:
"While running the syntactic parser I found a token identified by the
lexical analyzer in an unexpected location"
The second word is the name of the token: T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM.

It seems that an Israeli PHP programmer (probably working for Zend)
didn't know how to say "double colon" in English, so he coded the
token's name in transliterated Hebrew (Zend/zend_language_scanner.l,
line 911 on my Debian PHP4 sources). He probably figured that the end
user will never see this anyway, and the other programmers, well, they
are either Zend employees too, or they can follow the symbol definition
and find out what it means.

Now I'm wondering whether to submit a patch? In any case, google knows
of many people preplexed by this question, most of them actually
receiving an answer. I've submitted a note to the relevant page on the
PHP manual.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh