that's perfect - just what i needed. even does nice things like turning off
echo to screen when entering password.

thank!

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Rony Shapiro wrote:

Hi Michael,

gpg can also be used for "conventionally" encrypting/decrypting a file based
on a password/passphrase, e.g.:

$ gpg -c foo.txt
Enter passphrase:
Repeat passphrase:
$ ls foo*
foo.txt  foo.txt.gpg
[...]
$ gpg foo.txt.gpg
gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
Enter passphrase:
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
$

Probably the easiest way to encrypt/decrypt files via a command line.

        Cheers,

                Rony