David Suna wrote:
> I just purchased a new machine and I have been having a very
> frustrating time installing linux on it.  I have tried installing
> ubuntu workstation, ubuntu server and debian etch all without success
> but with different failures.  The machine is a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz with
> a Gigabyte 945GZ motherboard.  It has 1GB of DDR2  RAM, a 250 GB SATA
> hard disk and a generic DVD RW combo.  I am using the onboard video
> and LAN with an additional network card in the box.  Below are details
> of the errors that I get.  I don't know how to tell if this is a
> hardware compatibility issue, broken hardware, bad CDs or the phase of
> the moon.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Is the CD drive a SATA drive, by any chance?

It sounds to me as if the SATA support your kernel carries is buggy. All
three symptoms you describe are slightly disk or CD related.

If Danny's advice works, use it, at least for the mean while. It will
make the disks look like IDE disks to Linux, and thus use more stable
drivers. Just beware that when/if you want to upgrade the kernel and
switch to direct SATA support, you will have to go through a bit of an
awkward procedure to generate an initrd that is capable of booting the
machine. We can leave that problem be for now, however.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.