in the end i had no choise but to reboot the server.
btw, i tried once to mount -t cifs, and it took 5 minutes to hang the
server so i was back to smb

anyway,  i rebooted the windows machine without umounting the smb
share many times , and it was no problem, the mount continued to work
after the windows was up again.

i am using linux since about 1994, and the umount problem was always relevant.
then it was nfs, now it is smb (and probably nfs too)

just can't figure out how a stable and mature system like linux, still
have problems like
a process that can't be killed even with -9, and that the only
solution is to reboot

we used to make fun of windows that had to be rebooted for anything,
and that linux could do anything without a reboot.

erez.