From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun Oct 29 07:24:54 2006
Subject: Re: offtopic: BitTorrent Traffic shaping tricks by Israeli ISP's?

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 02:34 +0200, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a small test with Azureus as a bittorrent clients.
> One machine is located in the US, one at home. Both have the same
> setup in terms of bandwidth: max 9Kbyte up, unlimited download.
>
> Torrent for this test: CentOS 4.4 final
>
> The machine at US gets 400Kbytes per second (and the number grows)
> while here in Israel the SAME torrent file with (almost) the same
> number of connections is hitting ... 10Kbytes per seconds.
>
> I have tried the same test with 80 different torrent files, be it
> legal stuff and illegal stuff (movies, episodes etc), it's almost
> always the same result: the download is about 70-90% slower than the
> US machine.
>
> My ISP: Netvision.
>
> So, does anyone knows if Netvision and/or other ISP's are doing some
> serious bandwidth tricks? if so, is there a way to bypass it (and
> still use bittorrent)?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Hez

I've just download the latest Fedora Core iso (both i386 and x86_64)
both at @work (Barak) and @home (Netvision).
@Home (1.5/512), the average download speed was around 70kb/s.
@Work (2.0/128, I've got my own private DSL), the average download speed
was ~30kb/s.

BTW, in both cases the uploaded was capped to 50% of the maximum upload
rate.

- Gilboa