On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:45, Amit Aronovitch wrote:

>  I'll be happier if you convince me that this is all completely wrong...

How can one convince you that your prophecy of something that has
not happened yet is wrong ?  It may be true, and then again, it may
be not true. No one knows. If you want to hear what my hunches are,
I think you're overly worried, and I am not sure for how long Novell and
Microsoft's interests are going to coincide. This "marriage" is an unholy
marriage, and the "bride" was probably not the first choice of the "groom".

In my opinion, no virtualization platform available today is a real choice
for high powered servers. It's nice for developers, and servers that are
doing little (especially when I/O bound processing is in question). Since
I don't see yet a virtualization platform that really threatens the dedicated
servers world, and since the 1U high powered servers platform prices
decrease all the time, I am not sure why all this "hooha " was made of
this agreement.

Just FYI:

A vmware license would cost minimum $4000 for the basic 2CPU server.
A server which you can run say, 10 machines on, with good performance
per machine would be a 16GB 2xquad core CPU machine, with at least
2 gbit/s interfaces available. It would require 15k rpm disks, or if using
a central storage to hold the OSs on, a 4gbit/s interface for fibre-channel
or a bundle of at least 2xgigabit/s iscsi.

Assuming this server would cost some $12,000, and the VMware license
some $4000-$6000, and yearly maintenance of some $2000, this deal
costs in 3 years at least $22,000 (one should also include the maintenance
on the server itself, probably some 8-12%, which makes it a total of $24k).
(prices will probably be higher for commercial companies, the prices we
get in the academia are better).

For $24k, you can buy 10 DL360 machines from HP, and have "פחת" on
all the sum, and of course get better performance, alot better redundancy,
and less problems.

If you wanted to have good redundancy as well, you'd need two VMware
machines, and 2 vmotion licenses, and a central iSCSI or fibrechannel
storage.

The VMware/XEN/whatever bundle is not good for servers. It's good for
engineering/software companies that want to create and dismantle
debug/test environments on the fly, without the need to buy hardware
and wait for purchase. It is good for such development projects and
test environments, and also for servers that don't do much, and then
you can load 20-30 machines on the server I described above, without
worrying about redundancy, since the services are not mission critical,
and as such, no need for 2 VMware servers and vmotion.

--Ariel
 --
 Ariel Biener
 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]