--0-2002734281-1164265975=:75679

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 01:37:40PM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> You don't have to actually listen to them. The first time that either:
> 1. Novell claims that it is the only one you can buy Linux from due to
> said deal
> 2. MS sues ANYONE for Linux patent infringement
>
> Novel must, immediately, either shake loose (retroactively) from the MS
> deal or open itself up for copyright infringement claims.
>
> In other words, I don't know what the deal is, but the GPL seems to be
> doing it's job ok so far.
Who would - and how could they - sue Novell for copyright infringement based on
any lawsuit Microsoft initiates for Linux patent infringement?  What is
Novell's legal liability for anything MS does that is not clearly specified in
their deal?  Novell wouldn't be suing the Linux user and therefore isn't
violating the GPL.  Novell and Microsoft have not merged their corporate
entities, so Novell has no shared liability for MS challenging the GPL.

Regarding point 1., Novell has made it clear that it has entered into an
agreement with MS that shields its users from Linux litigation; it is stating a
fact that resonates with business clients.  It doesn't need to  - and probably
won't - state that MS's claims lack merit or are otherwise FUD.

The GPL has worked well, up to now.  But up to now Microsoft has not become
involved in the Linux market.  And Microsoft is one hell of a disruptive
corporate entity in the markets it enters.  It can also be a legal juggernaut
with bottomless pockets to drag out proceedings if it does not achieve its
legal goals outright.  How many years has MS's anti-trust issue dragged out?

---------------------------------
--0-2002734281-1164265975=:75679

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 01:37:40PM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:<br><blockquote
class="replbq" style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left:
5px; padding-left: 5px;">&gt; You don't have to actually listen to them. The
first time that either:<br>&gt; 1. Novell claims that it is the only one you
can buy Linux from due to<br>&gt; said deal<br>&gt; 2. MS sues ANYONE for Linux
patent infringement<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Novel must, immediately, either shake
loose (retroactively) from the MS<br>&gt; deal or open itself up for copyright
infringement claims.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; In other words, I don't know what the
deal is, but the GPL seems to be<br>&gt; doing it's job ok so
far.<br></blockquote>Who would - and how could they - sue Novell for copyright
infringement based on any lawsuit Microsoft initiates for Linux patent
infringement?&nbsp; What is Novell's legal liability for anything MS does that
is not clearly specified in their deal?&nbsp; Novell wouldn't be suing the
 Linux user and therefore isn't violating the GPL.&nbsp; Novell and Microsoft
have not merged their corporate entities, so Novell has no shared liability for
MS challenging the GPL.<br><br>Regarding point 1., Novell has made it clear
that it has entered into an agreement with MS that shields its users from Linux
litigation; it is stating a fact that resonates with business clients.&nbsp; It
doesn't need to&nbsp; - and probably won't - state that MS's claims lack merit
or are otherwise FUD.<br><br>The GPL has worked well, up to now.&nbsp; But up
to now Microsoft has not become involved in the Linux market.&nbsp; And
Microsoft is one hell of a disruptive corporate entity in the markets it
enters.&nbsp; It can also be a legal juggernaut with bottomless pockets to drag
out proceedings if it does not achieve its legal goals outright.&nbsp; How many
years has MS's anti-trust issue dragged out?<br><p>&#32;

<hr size=1>Everyone is raving about <a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42297/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta";>the
 all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.</a>
--0-2002734281-1164265975=:75679--