On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 12:12 +0200, Peter wrote:
> FYI there are about as many zombie computers in Israel as anywhere else,

Correct

> but Israeli (and Asian) IP blocks are more likely to get blacklisted
> than others.

Not correct. The main reason I'm running my own RBL, is that most
Israeli dyanmic IP pools are not blocked by most or all RBLs. For
example, the IP address you quoted as being rejected by my RBL -
192.114.44.226, when tested with robtex multi-rbl checking tool
( http://www.robtex.com/rbls.html ) comes up with a green bill of
health.

> This means that someone blocked Actcom's main MTA SMTP origin.

Then please notify Actcom support about it and let them handle it. You
did call Actcom support, right ?

As the old adage goes - when you make an omlete you need to break some
eggs ("כשחוטבים עצים, עפים שבבים"). In the long war against SPAM, some
people get hit by what is known in other circles as "friendly fire".
That being the case, the war itself is still a just cause and the battle
shouldn't be abandoned because of a few stray shots hitting innocent
victims.

> I *always* send mail with origin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] via Actcom's MTA. The rule is hardwired in the
> transports map, and has been for four years or so.

> As I said, that is not the case. My IP is in the 85.130 group but the IP
> blocked belongs to the Actcom origin servers, and is NOT a dynamic IP.

You are correct. I blocked the entire range 192.114.40.0/21 as a single
block as its listed in RIPE as a single block ("ACTCOM-BLOCK-3")
although it contains both dynamic IP addresses as well as hosted
services, including Actcom's own servers.

This was my mistake and I changed the rules to only block
192.114.44,5,6/24. I think that having both dynamic IP pools and static
IPs in the same block is wrong- exactly for this reason, as it makes it
really easy to make mistakes and block IPs incorrectly.

That being the case - I'm not going to stop blocking IPs that deliver
SPAM, and as the RBL is (a) not listed anywhere, and (b) was initially
described with a large enough warning label, I would also continue to
block large IP blocks that I believe are also possible sources of SPAM.

I would suggest to people who are using it to keep using it and I will
try harder not to hit innocent bystanders.

--
Oded
::..