On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 13:36 +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> At least last time I checked, anyone that requested it got access to an
> FTP site with the sources for all modified user space utilities on
> SPLAT. This is technically a violation (GPL requires that commercial
> distribution offer the sources even if they are available elsewhere)

How do you figure so ? Indeed, COPYING reads:
<snip>
3. You may copy and distribute the Program ... provided that you also do
one of the following:
..
    b) Accompany it with a written offer ... to give any third party ...
a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code
<snap>

But -
<snip>
In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License.
</snip>

As everyone knows, a Linux based operating system distribution is not a
single work but an aggregation of works that are distributed together
using a multitude of licenses.

If one modifies a single work and complies with the licensing terms for
that single work by distributing the source code for that work from
one's own FTP server, where all other works' licensing terms are
satisfied by having the (unmodified) source available elsewhere, I don't
see any problem with that.

--
Oded
::..