The purpose of a license is to prevent the visit to a judge. Therefore most of the discussions around licenses elaborated by comitee revolve around what a judge *would* do and not around what he will do.

Because the chances to win a lawsuit are directly related to the depth of the parties pockets and their endurance measured in years, legal recourse is not such a good idea in most cases. Look at the kafkaesque SCO/IBM/Novell lawsuit: 3 years and still going strong.

The us licensing and patent system is not consistent with itself and it is not such a good idea to adopt is as is, or to use it as a benchmark. USA is litigation country. No other system could withstand the continuous I-sue-you that takes place there, nor the kafkaesque lawsuits that take place from time to time (see SCO/IBM/Novell for one). That system works by precedent and it seems to take pride in creating precedents by breaking its own precedents (imho this is only advancing in the direction of greater entropy). Interested people can read a little about some of these things:

  http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/Lexmark_v_Static_Control/
  http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/ACRA_v_Lexmark/

(read noly the rulings if you are inpatient, see right sidebar for more).

You will see that in both cases a license that stipulated what can or cannot be done after sale (or distribution) with a product defined by an API (the cartridge) was striken down. The GPL is such a license. I don't think that there is any similarity with the cartridges, I just want to point out that one would seek consequence and logic in vain in the courts. What one could seek and find, would be financial ruin and wasted years.

A sheduler is a more essential part of a timesharing machine than a kernel. A scratch-written sheduler aggregated with a kernel is not a derivative work, it is an aggregation. The GPL stipulates rules for aggregation but in doing so it may exceed the limits of what a license can stipulate. Incidentally, so does the EULA on certain software products when it stipulates what emulators they can run on or not, and on whether aftermarket resale is possible, among other things.

Speaking of sheduler, RTLinux took out some patents on just such a sheduler and restricted RTLinux distribution based on that, and that is definitely definitely an aggregate work of the kernel:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5791

This is 'solved' in that the RTLinux code is dual licensed. But when it is not dual licensed, then how come it can be aggregated with a GPL codebase ? Because while RTLinux then becomes a non-GPL licensed piece of code, it is still aggregated with the remainder of the kernel source tree, which is GPL, and then *IT* forbids this aggregation. Huh ?

I am not a legally trained person but most of what is going on there defies my logic, the same logic which I use to solve technical problems in electronics and programming. They do not have a consistent system. The only thing that is consistent is the constant suing, and the legal costs.

Peter