Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> On 12/21/06, *Ori Idan* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     I have two computers on internal network (both of them Debian
>     unstable)
>     I would like to login to a remote computer using gdm.
>

> That is, you want to start an entirely new GNOME/KDE session using a
> remote computer as the display. This is called XDMCP. For that to
> work, the remote computer's X server should connect to your gdm
> through the XDMCP port (UDP 177 -- make sure you have it open in your
> firewall!).

Very misleading terminology.

The relevant X server is always the one running on the computer you're
typing at (which most people refer to as *local* - it's physically
closer to them).
Hence the "remote computer's X server" is *always* irrelevant (unless
you want to start programs for someone else to control - e.g. run xroach
on his desktop, or spy on his keyboard typing).
> Often, on the remote computer, you'd run GDM or KDM as well and it'll
> have a GUI option for starting a remote session. Otherwise (e.g. if
> you're on Cygwin), you can start a remote session manually:
>
>   X --query your-gdm-machine
To most people, this would only make sense if you reverse "local" and
"remote"...

When discussing X setup, we should try to explain things from the user's
POV instead of the applications' ;-)