Hi,

I experienced some mouse issues using Sarge (Debian stable, kernel 2.6.8).
My problems were solved once I upgraded (compiled my own kernel) to
kernel 2.6.12 .
If you don't have the time to compile your own kernel, you can always
use the Debian backports: http://backports.org .
They have a 2.6.18 kernel package for etch + all archs in there.

Note that the mousedev module is dropped in kernel>=2.6.12 so you
should remove it from your /etc/modules if you upgrade.

Shlomil