On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

Peter wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Oron Peled wrote:

So for an application an end-of-file is not a character, just a
condition.

That's what I meant with ^D. I did not imply it's a character.
Assuming you did not mean ^ (carrot) followed by a "D", ^D usually
refers to "Ctrl-D". That one (open bugs about accelerator keys
non-withstanding) usually translates to ASCII 4. ASCII 4 is definitely a
character.

It's 'caret' (from carriage return) not 'carrot' and 'rabbit' not 'wabbit'. When one says that an application receives ^D in an interactive context (as in shell program) one means that it receives the eof state on stdin, exactly as Oron has described. Thanks for helping split the hair.

Peter