On 14/01/07, Oded Arbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 10:30 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Also, the wonderful program F-Spot has me installing half of Gnome.
> KDE has no photo-manager that is so good as F-Spot, and I would very
> much like to see someone port it to KDE and Qt.

You're not serious, are you ? You must be joking. KDE only has the best
photo manager ever ? Much before GNOME had F-Spot, which is nice but
like Exaile offers nothing but rehashed ideas from other photo managers.

Do try Digikam.

I have. I don't like Digikam because:
- I cannot click on a photo to see it and stay within the interface.
It opens a second interface that must be switched back and forth
between it and the main browser interface.
- I cannot see all my pictures at once. While I do prefer to have the
pictures organized by date in folders on disk, I want my photo
managment app to show me all my photos, until I start clicking tags to
narrow down which picture I want to see.
- Digikam will not store metadata in the photos themselves. And there
is not way for me to import the metadata that I currently have in my
pictures (over 8000 pictures) into Digikam. The metadata is in both
IPTC and XMP formats (If Digikam could read either one I'd be happy).

>  That must be the case
> with AmaroK- Gnome until now had nothing so good.

That is also not correct - GNOME users have Banshee, which is a very
good media player, has interesting and useful UI and isn't an Amarok
rip-off in any significant way (that is - not any more then any media
player is a rip-off of winamp).

Yes, Banshee is a good media player. I agree.

> And to save
> themselves from installing KDE libraries just to use a music manager,
> they simply copied the KDE one. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes it is - as both Qt and GTK+ are in LSB, and kdelibs /is/ huge - but
is the only other dependency of Amarok - there really is no reason not
to install Amarok. Granted, there is a problem that KDE applications on
GNOME don't look native - the same problem the other way around, but KDE
folks solved it by building a GTK+ theme that renders using Qt.

I use that theme for Firefox and OpenOffice. It is quite buggy (no
icons nor menus in OOo, sometimes).

I don't buy the bloatware argument because kdelibs isn't too big for
modern computers - its just a few dozens of megabytes and all the gnome
python libraries that you need to install to get all these panel applets
is bigger then that. And I don't buy the look-n-feel argument, because
in that case all the GNOME folks have to do is to write a Qt theme that
renders using GTK+, which - trust me on this - is tons easier then
rewriting all the applications KDE offers from scratch.

Yes, that would be easier to start. But to debugg in all the
applications- no thanks.

I can't help but thinking - and its aided by a lot of writing on planet
GNOME - that some people in the GNOME community simply has a bias
against KDE - they can't stand anything written in Qt (or C++, or
something) running on their desktop, and instead of working towards full
interoperability, they work towards segregation by trying to offer
alternatives (i.e. - eliminate) to any KDE application that is popular.

And a lot of people in the Linux community have a bias against Windows
- they can't stand anything written in .NET (or VB, or something). To
each his own. Segregation is what will keep [KDE|Gnome] users safe
when the other gets hit with the first linux virus.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/linux.html
http://hohah.com