Hello,

Is it possible to achieve the same effect of PXE boot (i.e. pull everything
over the net, at most use a file on the local FAT32 disk for swap) using
some DOS/Win98 software?

My motivation - we have an ancient Toshiba Sattelite 4030CDT that can boot
Ubuntu live from its CD-ROM but it's slow, my wife won't let me install
Linux over her Win98, and on top of this the CD-ROM is slow and noisy. There
is no space on the disk to install Linux besides Windows (4 or 6 Gb HD).

So I though it would be great if I could just run something a-la "loadlin"
from inside a Win98 command-window that will pull down the kernel and
initramfs from my Debian Etch desktop and bootstrap from that, using NFS
root mount from the Debian disk. Once I have this I suppose it should be
easy to setup some XFCE or KDE-based environment to accomodate for the
modest CPU and RAM.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,

--Amos