Hi Peter,
Thanks for the quick reaction. Actually my blunder was putting a
$ sign before list and fullist (another legacy from a previous
attempt, but a harmful one, for a change).
As to your remarks: 1-ls formats the output in severeal columns
only when the output goes to a terminal, which is not the case in
this script
                  2-I do not remember starting any number with
a zero, but,I'll have another look. Your remark is, of course,
valid.
Cheers, Avraham