On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 23:32:04 Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> YUM downloaded and installed almost 900 packages. I would like to
> do the same upgrade and update to another system.
>
> Is there a way to back the packages up to a DVD or other medium and put
> them on the other system so I don't have to download them again? I assume
> there are other files (headers?) I need to copy too. What do I save
> and where do I put it to use it.

You have to do 2 things.
1st, you have to change /etc/yum.conf `keepcache' option to 1.
For full description read the man page for yum.conf .
2nd you'll find the yum cache in the above file at the `cachedir'
option (default to /var/cache/yum), just copy the whole directory,
it includes all the headers and rpms loaded.

Since I have many machines, I symlinked the cache (on each machine)
to a common nfs disk. I do the update (by a script) on one machine
(which will download and store the updates) and then run the same
update on all other machines.

> On a related note, is there an FC6 (x86) YUM repository?

Sure is. How else would the yum work and find the 900 packages it
added for you ?  Anyway, bellow are the repositories I use.

The 4 standard (you already have them) FC repositories are:
    fedora-core.repo
    fedora-updates.repo
    fedora-extras.repo
    fedora-legacy.repo

I highly recommend the livna.repo - http://rpm.livna.org/
(e.g. vlc, the all media player is kept there).

These (and some more) are automatically configured by:
    rpm -Uvh http://www.fedorafaq.org/yum     \
             http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
(see: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#yumconf ).

I disabled the atrpms and freshrpms repos, because they were
problematic (some of their packages were out of sync with the
main repos and caused collisions).

Just one more hint. Some times the update will hang at the very
beginning. Ensure there is no other yum running (ps -ef | grep yum)
and if so, do "rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00?" and rerun the update.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign