On Thu, Mar 08, 2007, Tzahi Fadida wrote about "Big Off-Topic: Finding a linux
related job.":
> Can someone throw some tips as to how i should proceed?

Let me give you my 2 cents. Since so many people have replied already, with
so many ideas, I'll try to go against the flow for a moment (only dead fish
go with the flow!) and tell you which ideas I think will *not* work.

First, people suggested to you various ways to "improve" your CV - from giving
less attention to your MSc area, to focusing your experience, and so on.
While it is always a good idea to have a well-organized, relevant and
impressive CV, from what you describe this was *not* your problem: you said
that you were called to interviews, and this means your CV passed the sieve.
Believe me (from a past life where I interviewed people), people with lousy
CVs do not get called for interviews at all. If you take in mind that
interviewing one person can take up anywhere between half a man-day to four
man-days of the company's employees time, companies don't tend to invite
dozens of people to interviews just to choose one. If you were called to an
interview, then your CV must have been impressive enough. If you weren't
hired after the interview, it is possible that something in the interview -
not in the CV didn't work. So think back if you can think of anything that
went wrong during the interview. What did you say that the interviewer liked,
and what did you say that they did like? My little experience as an
interviewee, for example, showed me that interviewers like it when I
understand what they're talking about (this is where broad experience can
help, not damage you, as some people suggested), they like it when you seem
interested in what they do (ask questions, what to hear about their work),
and they like it when you tell them interesting things you did, especially
if they are relevant to what they do. Most interviewers don't really care
if your project was FOSS, commercial, academic or what, so don't start
discussing the GPL and Stallman's manifest with them, but rather discuss
the problem that you solved, how, and how useful (hopefully) what you did
is to many people.

The second thing is that contrary to what some people told you, you should
get a PhD, but only because *you* want one, not to get hired. Most companies
I know of except a few, do not need anything beyond a BSc (and some don't
even need that). When they do look for PhDs, it's usually someone with
specific experience, and not just any-old PhD (for example, someone whose PhD
is in AI may be easily hired to an AI company). So, no, you don't need a PhD
to get hired, and getting one will not necessarily make you more easily
hireable.

Finally, don't give up. Even a "perfect" candidate will never pass all job
interviews. Sometimes the interviewer or HR person is stupid and doesn't
understand your merits. Sometimes *you* make stupid mistakes in the interview
that rule you out (e.g., if you interview for Microsoft, another good place
to work in Haifa, try not to speak half the interview on the merits of
Linux :)). Sometimes you have bad luck, sometimes the company had good luck
(they found an even better person for the job), sometimes the job simply isn't
right for you and the interviewer knows it, sometimes you were tired or
sick during the interview, sometimes... well, you get the idea. Try again,
try to learn from past mistakes, and don't give up until you have a job.

Good luck,
Nadav.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Friday, Mar  9 2007, 19 Adar 5767
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |When everything's coming your way, you're