I did two checks:

I checked the Sane site for each item. I only paid attention to scanners
with "good" or "complete" support, of which there were many. My problem
was, which of them (within my nominated price/performance range) are
available locally and from where. (Not many!)

Your remark about the Genius problem was interesting, since the Sane
list neither indicated difficulties, nor did it have a link to
"somewhere else" for the models in question.

As I pointed out earlier, I'm taking a "punt" on a Canon Lide 25 at NIS
312 (a tank of petrol?) which won't send me into bankruptcy.

Julian Daich wrote:
> El lun, 19-03-2007 a las 09:22 +0200, Daniel Feiglin escribió:
>

>> There are a couple of other similar supported "cheapies" like these:
>> Genius 1200XE - NIS 243
>> Genius HR7 - NIS 389
>>
> Be careful! There were a lot of concerns regarding Genius scanners at
> the Ubuntu forums.
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1227071#poststop
> I remember to be asked to sign a petition to Genius regarding their
> scanners a month or so ago.
> Check out the SANE list before buying nothing! When the developers say¨
> good¨ support usually it means not complete.
> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=genius&model=&bus=any&v=&p=
> However the Genius HR7 seems to be well supported.
>
> Julian
>

>> Plustek 1200 - NIS 289
>>
>> I suspect that the main differences are in quality of the electro
>> mechanical components and scanning speed.
>>
>> Daniel Feiglin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello folks!
>>>
>>> I am looking for a low end USB flatbed scanner <= NIS 1000, mostly as a
>>> fax front end and for scanning documents. No fancy photography is
>>> required. An examination of the Sane site, http://www.sane-project.org/
>>> as well as a look at the SUSE scanner installation list, crossed with
>>> what seems to be available in Israel e.g. http://www.zap.co.il/ yields
>>> about two Epson models (1260, 390) with good or complete functionality.
>>> I find that hard to believe.
>>>
>>> The sort of unit I have in mind should have resolution 1200x2400 or
>>> better, 48 bit color and A4 size.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any other leads, URL's to Israeli suppliers.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Daniel

begin:vcard
fn:Daniel Feiglin