Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:32:06 +0200
>> From: Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: Jonathan Ben Avraham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Cc: Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Subject: Re: Rsync and databases
>>
>> Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:

>>> Rsync will definately *not* work for Oracle database files. The rsync
>>> fails on the verification stage. Use ftp instead.
>> Sounds strange, as rsync is supposed to create an identical copy on the
>> remote machine. Does it fail on the rsync or Oracle verification stage?
>> Do you know why it fails?
>
> Hi Shachar,
> The rsync fails, on the verification stage after it transfers the
> file, before invoking Oracle. This is a known problem with rsync and
> very sparce files that are more than 10GB. Haven't looked into it for
> a while. Might have been fixed recently but definately not working in
> RHEL3.

RHEL3 had well known issues with files larger than 2GB on various
filesystems. This might be related.
Setting Oracle to "backup mode" allows you to copy tables files on
either method you want, rsync included.
However, how does rsync handle binary changed files? Can it copy only
the binary diff, or must it copy the entire file all over?

Ez