On 4/6/07, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 11:52:24AM +0300, Ori Idan wrote:

> I am currently working on such a software.

I have a philosophical question. With open source software how do you
make sure that the copy you are running was not modified to send
your accounting data to some "data collection" site?

I am not making sure the copies are unmodified, otherwise it is not  free
software.
I will give warranty only for an original copy.

If you compile your own copy of the program, which is the usual way
of preventing such "hacks", it would not be the program that
was tested and IMHO there would be no way to prove it without testing
it again.

You are right, that is why I will give warranty only for an unmodified copy.

How would the tax agency ascertain that the program that produced a
report was in fact the certified version of the program and not a
version modified in any way?

They actually don't care, when they see the report is according to the laws
they do not check the software you used.
If there is any reason to check they will start asking questions also about
the software.

Using computer programs to steal money or hide income from the tax
authorities is not a new or uniquely Israeli concept.

AFAIK there have only been three programs approved.

Approved for what?
If you are talking about accounting software in Israel, there are more then
10 I know of that where approved.
However those are for DOS or Windows only.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice:

Ori Idan