Here's something I wrote to the Israel Mac user's list about it cable modems.

I'll make changes where needed:

----- Forwarded message from "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:57:43 +0200
> From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [isramac] connecting with a cable modem

> There is a hidden catch with cable modems in Israel. Since HOT and BEZEQ
> are not legally permitted to be ISPs, they cannot offer you a connection
> to the Internet. Therefore unless you use MPLS, which creates a VPN (aka
> tunnel) inside HOT's network for you, you have to use a VPN/tunnel
> to connect to the Internet.
>
> That's what you've been doing using L2TP on your PC. L2TP is a tunneling
> protcol championed by Microsoft. It's not very good, but  it works,
> and the hardware at the ISP's end is a lot cheaper than any other.
>
> The hidden gotcha with cable modems is how they allocate connections
> to the ISP. When your computer connects to HOT's network, it is
> assigned an IP address in a local network. That local network has a
> gateway to HOT's main network and via that gateway you connect to
> a tunneling/VPN gateway which connects you to the outside world.
>
> The problem is that software designed for the U.S. assumes the gateway
> out of the LAN is the same as the tunneling gateway. That's why routers
> from the U.S. won't work here using cable modems without MPLS (which
> is now almost impossible to get).
>
> I don't know if MacOS supports L2TP off the top of my head, and I'm
> not near a Mac to check it out.

Note MacOS X and Linux both support L2TP. I have an old connection
with Netvision, from before L2TP was popular and I use pptp.

> A friend of mine has a Mac and he uses 013 and has had problems which
> they fixed for him, knowing well he had a Mac. Netvision also supports
> Macs.
>
> Since he uses an aDSL line and OS9 (no tunneling support), he got a router
> from BEZEQ and uses that to connect to his ISP.
>
> At this point you can buy a cheap combination router/4 port hub/WiFi access
> point for around 230 NIS at Office Depot.
>
> I suggest you get one, or spend the extra money and get a "name brand".

----- End forwarded message -----

Also note that since I wrote the reply to the original message at around
7:30 am, my cable connection was down twice.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838