I'm not sure there is such an "adapter".
Since you already have a NIC adaptor on the client side, what you are
asking for is a "server" that provides ethernet access to storage.
Well, AoE which you noted does that, so does iSCSI, but nobody I know
of is doing a minimal device that will host a single hard disk - the
cost is too prohibitive.

Coraid and many iSCSI vendors have such "adapters" or "servers" for
multiple disks.

Good luck,
Dan