On Thursday, 19 בApril 2007 10:16, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> I have here FC4 on my laptop, and I had its wifi nicely installed -
> up untill yesterday. Now, even when I want to take it down with
>       rmmod ipw2200
> and take its network interface down, something reloads it again
> (and take the interface up with it, dhclient included).

It's modprobe called by the kernel. You must have something like:
  alias eth1 ipw2200
In modprobe configuration (usually on RH/Fedora kudzu create these
entries on boot as a result of hardware detection).

You can verify it (I just did with my Fedora-6) by commenting out
this statement. Make sure you got what you want by:
  modeprobe -c | grep ipw2200  # dump configuration

The one thing that still puzzle me is: what mechanism in the kernel
triggered invocation of modprobe in this case (the hardware was not
hotplugged).

If kudzu keep inserting this statement each boot, you have three options:
  1. Disable kudzu altogether:
        chkconfig kudzu off
  2. Blacklist ipw2200 from automatic modprobe loading. Put the line:
        blacklist ipw2200
     into a file in /etc/modprobe.d/
  3. Ditto, but putting:
        alias ipw2200 off
     into /etc/modprobe.conf or a file in /etc/modprobe.d/
     (this alias was the 'blacklist' mechanism in old modprobe in before
      kernel 2.6, but it's still supported AFAIK. I don't know why this
      syntax was changed to 'blacklist' and if it's deprecated or not).

Cheers,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron
ICQ UIN: 16527398

"Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity"
        (Dennis Ritchie)