On 4/24/07, ik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

I have a serial usb device, that from time to time disconnect
according to the kernel (dmesg):

usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1
ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0

And then as you can see, the kernel assign it to a new address.

I'm looking either at a hint of what should I be looking on what
causing it to disconnect, or for a bash/perl (or C) way to find whyat
is the active usb /dev/ device to use.

Don't know what could be causing the disconnect, try replacing the
cable (Worked for me once).

The kernel I'm using is 2.6 (at the moment 2.6.20) on Fedora Core 6.

Any hints and tips on the subject are more then welcome

Now, for continuously naming your device with a fixed identifier you
should be looking at your udev rules. Read this paper
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html and use udevmonitor to
see what's going on when you plug your device. Then locate your udev.d
folder (on debian it /etc/udev/rules.d/) and add your custom rule. Try
to be a restrictive as possible, preferably depending only the
device's serial number or such.

Thanks,

HTH

Ido