On Wednesday 25 April 2007 13:04:45 Maxim Veksler wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a video I captured using my Fuji cam, the only problem is it's
> 580MB for 8min video.

> I would like to transcode it to something under 100mb, so that I can
> upload it to UT.
> Could some one please share a tip or more.
>
> I wouldn't mind using command line, but something with GUI is
> preferred.

VLC offer a nice "wizard style" transcoding feature, but I was never happy
with the results. I usually either use mencoder (from the mplayer project)
for mind numbing processing of multiple files, or avidemux which does not
handle near anything close the the many formats that mencoder/mplayer do but
is really easy to work with and can be scripted using Javascript (so even
though documentation on that is sorely lacking, it can be automated rather
easily).

> I'm on Ubuntu 6.10. I think I should lower the fps to
> something around 22

I don't think that is needed, and even if so - why 22 ? standard framerates
are 29.997 [supposedly 30] for NTSC, 25 for PAL.

> , user codec with better compression ratio for
> video

Xvid does a marvelous job. If you don't mind loosing support for hardware
players then x264 is also excellent. both are supported by all current
encoders and decoders, with the right libraries installed (software only for
x264 - only very high end hardware players support the h264 format).

You can save a lot of space with MPEG4-type and similar codecs by lowering the
required bandwidth setting for the codec, often with a noticeable
deterioration in quality - if you don't get the required size or think you
are loosing too much quality, try to play with that setting before you try
another codec.

--
Oded