A friend of mine was given a used laptop. I've installed Ubuntu 7.04
on it. It works pretty well, but I have a problem with USB WiFi dongles.

The laptop had built in WiFi and CARDBUS (PCMCIA) slots, but both
no longer work due to a hardware catastrophe.

I've tried the following, because they are what I have:

3com 3crshew696 Randomly fails loading firmware, never actually connects.
Worked fine under Windows/XP. (don't they all?)

An EdiMAx  11mbps unit model number unknown, zd102 chipset. Does not
always connect, works great when it does.

D-Link DWLG122. Works slowly, but always connects.

All three are old.

Does anyone know of a currently available dongle that works well under
Ubuntu 7.04 (or recent 2.6 kernels) that are available in Israel?

Recommendations for hardware and vendors would be appreciated.

Also  a recommendation for a GUI WiFi connection tool would also be
helpful. I'm using GTKwifi now.
Thanks,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838