Hi,

I'm trying to install MediaWiki 1.7 on Debian Etch, I've done this
before without a hitch but now I keep hitting the same error every
time I try it. I've purged that and re-installed the package three
times but still get exactly the same error.

A short context - the way MediaWiki is congigured initialy is to
access http://localhost/mediawiki/config/index.php and fill in the
form. I don't get any errors when I first display the form (the
environment checks pass fine) but after filling it I get a page with
progress report which looks like this:

<quote>

PHP 5.2.0-8+etch4 installed
Found database drivers for:  MySQL  PostgreSQL
PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP's memory_limit is 16M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
Attempting to raise limit to 20M... ok.
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator nor APC are installed, can't
use object caching functions
Found GNU diff3: /usr/bin/diff3.
Found ImageMagick: /usr/bin/convert; image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
Found GD graphics library built-in.
Installation directory: /var/lib/mediawiki1.7
Script URI path: /mediawiki
Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.

Generating configuration file...
Database type: MySQL
Attempting to connect to database server as root...success.
Connected to 5.0.32-Debian_7etch1-log; enabling MySQL 4.1/5.0 charset mode
Created database wikidb
Creating tables... using MySQL 5 table defs... done.
Initializing data...
Warning:  mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link
resource in /usr/share/mediawiki1.7/includes/Database.php on line 620
A database query syntax error has occurred. The last attempted
database query was: "(SQL query hidden)" from within function "".
MySQL returned error "0: "

</quote>

Looking at the database I see that the tables are created fine, though
I don't see the wikiuser database user account (maybe it's supposed to
be created later). I don't see any errors in the mysql server's logs.

The line mentioned in the error looks like this:

618 function doQuery( $sql ) {
619   if( $this->bufferResults() ) {
620     $ret = mysql_query( $sql, $this->mConn );
621   } else {
622     $ret = mysql_unbuffered_query( $sql, $this->mConn );
623   }
624   return $ret;
625 }

Googling around for this error, other text in the resulting page or
generally about problems installing MediaWiki didn't find anything
useful.

Does anyone know what else can I do?

Thanks,

--Amos