On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 11:38 +0300, Noam Rathaus wrote:
> I finally been able to move my parents to Ubuntu, after much struggles :)
>
> But I was quite amazed to find out that the simplest thing called Internet
> Dialer found in Windows doesn't exist, there is no shinny GUI, only command
> line scripts and commands.

There was recently a gnubies-il thread with the same problem, which
appears to be quite common if Google is to be trusted: Ubuntu - which
otherwise is a great desktop operating system with shiny and usable GUIs
for almost anything - is sorely lacking a normal user interface to
broadband dialing (DSL and cable). All other major distros come with one
(I recently had to use Fedora 7's and it was almost perfect, and I know
Mandriva's which I used many times before would be perfect if it was
only slightly less ugly).

Currently to get Ubuntu to dial through DSL you need to run pppoe-conf
from the command line, and then use the command line commands pon
<provider> and poff <provider>. One can conceivably setup custom
application launchers for both on the desktop's panel, and in
combination with some network monitor applet that is setup to only
monitor ppp0, it can even be a usable setup.

> Anyone with a GUI that does PPP or PPPOE?

See here
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/pppoeconfig-gtk-frontend
for the launchpad blueprint for this problem (can't right now find the
bug ticket for this, and its not linked from the blueprint page).
The original RP-PPPOE package linked from the above page, contains a gui
for controlling RP-PPPOE. I don't know how well it works with Ubuntu's
(Debian's) idea of pppoe dialling.

--

Oded