On Saturday 17 November 2007 22:35, Amos Shapira wrote:
> On 16/11/2007, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In the Internet as people would like it to be, identd runs and returns
> > information about the host computer and the user.
>
> I'd change that to "In the Internet as stupid admins would like it to
> be". Identd is the stupidest security-related protocol and had I not
> seen it keep being mentioned for almost 20 years I wouldn't have
> believed it still being used for anything else but waste of time and
> network bandwidth.
>
> Does anyone here run an identd server or trust its replies?

No. Identd is a security breach, especially if open to the world. Also,
the current identd daemons can reply with whatever you want if
you use a .file in your home directory, which tells it how to respond
instead of giving out your username. Identd makes as much sense
now as finger @host does.

--Ariel
 --
 Ariel Biener