On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:38:05AM +0200, Oded Arbel wrote:

> Does such a beast indeed exists ? A text editor that can handle several
> gigabytes worth of text (hopefully by not trying to load everything into
> main memory) ? A console based editor would be preferable, but I don't
> mind X. it doesn't have to be pretty or support funky text handling
> commands - it just needs to work.

For starters, if you just need to view and search for text, use less.

There's a nice little emacs clone called qemacs. As the 'q' suggests, it
was written by Fabrice Bellard (of Qemu). It has not been developed since
2003, but is still available as a Debian package.

I've just tried it, and it has opened a large test file quite fast. Just
as well as less. I seem to have hit a bug when trying to search
backwards (ctrl-R). forward-search is ctrl-S and thus seems to hang the
terminal until ctrl-Q is pressed.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                    |  best