On Sunday, 3 February 2008 21:02:05 Ira Abramov wrote:
> A(nother) client of mine is fighting the old fight of central directory
> management. Situation went quickly downhill yesterday when their Active
> Directory server's hardware died. I've been originally asked to come
> help them integrate it with Linux but instead tomorrow it will be an
> emergency fire fight and maybe a different approach should be
> considered.
>
> The comapny has a Gnu/Linux-based product and development nodes, but
> most of the tech staff was decided to run on windows machines (don't
> ask). The question now is whether I help them disjoin their machines
> from the disfunct 2003 server's domain and help them work with a bunch
> of standalone XPs and a Samba server, or could I use the Samba as a PDC
> and build a second one as BDC? I know Samba is capable of that, but I
> have never heard about a real world case where that works, and if it
> works well.
>
> Also, if a Samba machine is a direcotry server, can I get the rest of
> the Gnu/Linux nodes on the LAN authenticate against that somehow or do I
> have to synchronise that to a YP map? what's the best way of
> synchronising a password change to both the yp master as well as the
> Samba's internal DB? I always just change password for both on the
> commandline but in a real world environment I suppose there should be a
> web interface maybe to do that? should I look at SWAT?

1. I think you should be using an LDAP backend to samba. This way Unices would
auth against LDAP, and windowses against samba (but LDAP DB). I guess samba
has more backends (mysql maybe?), but LDAP fits best..
2. PDC/BDC setup would probably miss many features (still it's 90s
technology); Samba 4 should be able to mimic Win2k DC, but it's alpha.
3. I indeed never heard of someone using samba as a DC, although I tend to
trust the samba guys.. they do good job :)
4. Have you considered winbind? Either against samba, or actually reinstalling
a win2k3 DC, while unices authenticate using winbind?

 - Oren