On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:42:31AM +0200, Dan Shimshoni wrote:
> ..
>
> Does it says that I have a problem with my disk that may cause a disk crash ?
>
> I googled for this and there are so many suggestions, so I am quite
> bewildered.
>
> Did anybody encountered this problem ?
> Should I run "fsck" ? or maybe reinstall the distro (which is Fedora Core)?
> or rush and buy a new disk ?

What I would do:

        1. Run a full backup. I would use tar with the option to ignore
                read errors.

        2. Reboot from a rescue disk and run fsck with the surface check option.
                This could take a long time.

        3. Run spinrite (if you have an x86 system).

        4. If the manufacutrer of your disk has a data recovery/diagnostic
program
                run it.

If this is a system which someone has money invested in, such as for a business,
I would run out and replace it. Then I would run spinrite on it and if it
worked.
use it for something I did not care about, such as temporary files, netnews,
spool,
etc.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838