Beware of Tivoli Provisioning stuff..

I spend few days with it, and with CentOS 5 (and 4.x). It sucks.
really bad. (I haven't tried the latest version which came 3 months
ago though). It craps the network config files, xorg.conf files etc..

Thanks,
Hetz

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Noam Meltzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I must agree here with Ohad. I have been using Puppet in my last 3 projects
> at 3 different customers.
> I do consider Puppet as a provisioning service, as I can provision with it
> practically everything:
> 1. Configuration files
>  2. Packages (rpms / debs / solaris pkgs)
> 3. UNIX accounts (users / passwords / groups)
> 4. Everything you can just imagine.
> It is highly customizable and very robust (gee.. what a bunch of buzz words,
> but i do agree with them here).
>  With every project I have deployed I learned new features of puppet and
> developed a bigger appreciation for the product.
>
> Regarding the kickstart part, Cobbler is a nice tool, which I can also
> recommend, but personally I just prefer "vanilla" kickstart, as I have
> better control over it (atleast, that's how I feel) and I already have a
> template ks.cfg profile and post install script which I carry with me from
> one place to another. Once I get to the post install scripts, I deploy a
> puppet client, and let it do the rest of the job.
>
> - Noam
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Ohad Levy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Checkout Cobbler.
> >
> > Puppet is a great tool, you might want to use it if you manage a lot of
> servers...
> >
> > Ohad
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Ira Abramov
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting Marc A. Volovic, from the post of Mon, 31 Mar:
> > >
> > > Thanks. Took me 5 minutes to discover it's spelled Puppet, and 20 more
> > > of reading through all the FAQs and manuals to realize it does
> > > management, not provisioning.
> > >
> > > I'll make it clearer: I'm looking for a product that will allow me to
> > > remote-install blades and tower machines via PXE from a smart kickstart
> > > or other type of image server. Management after provisioning is a bonus,
> > > not a must.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ira.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gzunda the desk
> > >

> > > Ira Abramov
> > > http://ira.abramov.org/email/

Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org