On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 09:57:12 +0300
"Hetz Ben Hamo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> There are few howto's for installing and using bluetooth devices under
> Linux. There is some GUI support both in KDE and in gnome. I don't
> know about GNOME gui parts, but in KDE there's KDE Blue tooth
> (http://bluetooth.kmobiletools.org/), so it really depends if your
> distribution has some RPMS/DEBS packages ready for it.
>
> As for GNOME, I do remember that it has some bluetooth support for
> sending files across, but I think you'll need some packages to show
> some GUI stuff, I don't remember their names.
>
> Thanks,
> Hetz
>
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > I have a cheap bluetooth USB dongle. It was made by ISSC and is
> >  called an ISSCBTM. Under Windows I get a nice bluetooth icon in
> >  my system tray, and a GUI to use it to discover nearby devices.
> >
> >  Under Linux, I can't see a thing. Unfortunately the only actual
> >  bluetooth peripheral I have at the moment is a cell phone which
> >  belongs to my wife and is with her.
> >
> >  I looked for the dongle and found it in /proc/bus/usb/devices.
> >  It seems to be there and have drivers loaded, but I'm not sure.
> >
> >  Is there any bluetooth gui which includes device support and
> >  discovery? I'm running Fedora 8.

Under gnome (also works with xfce) there is bluetooth-applet from bluez-gnome
(under debian, don't know the fedora equivalent). It lets me discover and
authorize the dongle (I can synchronize with the computer, I recall having some
issue using it the other way around but I don't recall at the moment)

For transfering files there are various obex protocols (obexftp, obexfs,
obexpushd and obex-data-server for dbus functionality)

I believe that nautilus can see the phone also but I don't know what packages
are needed.