Why doesn't that developer have his own PC?
If the developer needs to write his own kernel modules, then he needs
root privileges anyway.
But if he just develops applications for an embedded system, which
already has debugged modules, then the devices can be created beforehand
(manually or via udev, as already suggested by someone else).

                                           --- Omer

--
One does not make peace with enemies.  One makes peace with former
enemies.

I may be affiliated in any way.