Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> I just want to toss out some thoughts and see if it inspires anyone:
>
> 1. What certification do they have now? Are those certifications accepted
>    in Israel?

FCC - for the U.S import
CE - for Europe import
NCC - for Taiwan import

The FCC certification accepted for American technologies (TDMA, CDMA -
pelephone  network ) , the CE certification accepted for European GSM
technologies - but Moc want GCF-CC and the device have CE certification

> 2. Who actually manufactures them? For example, the world's largest cell
>    phone manufacturer is Flextronics, which has a plant in Israel.
>
>    Just because a phone has a familar name on it does not mean it did not
>    come off a Flextronics production line.
>
>    If they do manufacture them, it may be possible to have a small
>    run of them manufactured here.

according to my agreement FIC/Openmoko is the manufacture , i am not
sure that it is profitable to manufactured here.
> 3. Has anyone pitched it to Orange or Cell-Com? They may carry it just to
>    say they do. (Sell an open source pocket computer/cell phone). Especially
>    if the other company gets the exclusive iPhone contract.

I am using the device as my daily cellphone in Orange. the device have a
multi-band GSM 900/1800/1900 (for Europe ) or 850/1800/1900 (US) .
here is the information for the local cellphone companies :
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_il.shtml

> 4. The MOC issued a blanket approval for iPhones, maybe you can get them
>    to issue one for this unit. Can it be modified to fit the political
>    or social aims of the party with the MOC portfolio?

I didn't understand. Moc should fit the requirements to this century -
the Israeli law is based on the telegraph law ( from 1945 or something
like that).
I have been there few days after the approval of 600 iPhones, as far as
I understand there is a big problem with this approval , and there will
not be any more . the technical staff of Moc said to me that this
approval is NOT legal.

> 5. Can you get a special exemption for importing a batch of them for
>    software development?

Yes .
I opened 3 applications :
1. import for export - to help FIC/OpenMoko and/or any one that want to
import change the software and export the device.
2. import for development
3. import for trade

I didn't opened application for "import for military usage" because :
1. I don't believe the targets that  "military usage"   have.
:-)
2. the army or other ,  need to ask for it ,and so far no one thats
defined as  "military " asked for it

--
Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See

P Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail/ /