I have this problem as well (and my dvdrom points to sr0). From my
experience, when you get this "bread failed", you won't be able to
mount it. Only reboot can help. Also, I had recently problems with the
dvd rom and had to switch instead of hdc to sdXXX. The new way to
define cdroms/dvdrom is via scsi emulation. But for that you will need
to compile the kernel again with other settings.

If you will be interested i will send you a link how it's done.