Well, to me, there was some hassle, but frankly its not that great. Just recently I've installed Kubuntu 8.04, 64bit version on my office desktop (some new Dell machine). I don't remember anything too special I needed to mess with.

Also, things are improving with time so I guess bad experiences from the past are becoming more and more - a thing of the past (like Linux usage in general, which is becoming more convenient, skipping the need to be a rocket scientist to get a common and useful functionality out of it).

Boaz.