2008/7/10 Ami Chayun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
> I installed Hardy on a friend's new Thinkpad X61 laptop, and I'm facing a
> serious problem.
> The laptop's hard drive heats up to unbearable temperature (hddtemp shows
> numbers over 50 degrees). When running smartctls, the hdd's Load_Cycle_Count
> is increased in an alarming rate.
> The web is filled with contradicting information on the effect. The (somewhat)
> official information I dug is:
> and
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695
> The solutions offered there doesn't seem to help much.
>
> I remember this as an Ubuntu issue a while back, but I didn't expect to see it
> in 8.04.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions to debug and solve this,
> Ami

On my Dell Inspiron I only notice the issue when on battery power, not
on mains. Identify if this is the case with your Thinkpad. I have not
yet found a solution for my Inspiron, and it persists in 8.04 as well
for me. I just try to use mains as often as possible.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.