Ok,

In order to label a partition, you can use the command "e2label" to
label. example: "e2label /dev/sda1 /boot" and then on /etc/fstab you
can put a line like this:

LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2

For UUID, it's a bit more complicated, but you can read it here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Auto_mount_filesystems_(AUTOFS)#UUID

Hetz

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Noam Rathaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) They are not labeled
> 2) I don't know how to find out what their UUID is
>
> An explanation on both - how to do this would be nice :)
>
> On Friday 18 July 2008 20:31:37 Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
>> Hi Noam,
>>
>> You have 2 options which you can use (and you can use them either
>> manually or through /etc/fstab)
>>
>> 1. You can label the partitions and mount them using the labels (or
>> manually using mount -L) or
>> 2. You can use the mount with UUID (mount -U).
>>
>> See: http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount
>>
>> As for the switch, I think (not sure though) this happens when a
>> device is recognized, the system assign /dev/ node for it, so  you can
>> bypass it by playing with the /etc/udev stuff, although the easiest
>> way to solve this issue IMHO would be like I wrote above.
>>
>> Hetz
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Noam Rathaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a strange problem where my external HD is assigned to /dev/sdb and
>> > my SATA disk is assigned to /dev/sda
>> >
>> > But every once in a while, they decide to switch places (during boot),
>> > any idea how I can "fix" this - so they do not switch places?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Noam Rathaus
>> > CTO
>> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> > http://www.beyondsecurity.com
>> >
>> > "Know that you are safe."
>> >
>> > Beyond Security Finalist for the "Red Herring 100 Global" Awards 2007

> --
> Noam Rathaus
> CTO
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.beyondsecurity.com
>
> "Know that you are safe."
>
> Beyond Security Finalist for the "Red Herring 100 Global" Awards 2007

--
Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org