Hello Jonathan,
I think that visual caret motion with logical selection is the best
approach.  I do not see visual selection as an useful feature at all (at
least if it means what I understand it to mean).

If anything needs to be improved, then add, as a feature, a mode to turn
off BiDi ordering in the visual display of a text fragment.  This will
make easier the lives of people, who edit text, which mixes together
several RTL and LTR spans together with plethora of punctuation marks.

Another audience for such a feature is blind computer users, who wish to
edit text in Hebrew.  They read it LTR in Braille, and would like to
suppress the BiDi algorithm for such text.  Therefore, they need to turn
off BiDi ordering for a whole file.

About the best way to implement such a feature (how to
activate/deactivate) and whether the text is to be displayed in-line or
in another window - I'm deferring to other people to make suggestions.

--- Omer

--
42 is the answer to everything.  Food is the answer to everything except
obesity.

I may be affiliated in any way.